About Me

My photo
Joyce Swann has been a Christian since childhood and a prayer warrior for over forty years. She became nationally-known in the 1990’s because of her work homeschooling her ten children from the first grade through masters’ degrees before their seventeenth birthdays. She has been featured on Paul Harvey’s weekly radio program, CBN, and the 1990’s CBS series, “How’d They Do That?” She has been interviewed by “Woman’s World”, “The National Enquirer”, and numerous regional newspapers. The story of the Swann family has also been featured in the “National Review” and several books about homeschooling success stories. Joyce is the author or co-author of five novels, including “The Fourth Kingdom”, which was selected as a finalist in the Christianity Today 2011 fiction of the year awards and “The Warrior” which, since its release in 2012, has had over 50,000 Kindle downloads and hundreds of glowing reviews. She was a popular columnist for “Practical Homeschooling” for nearly decade and she has retold her own story of homeschooling her ten children in “Looking Backward: My Twenty-Five Years as a Homeschooling Mother”. “The Warrior” is her first solo novel.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Names of God Part II--The Lord Who Heals

I have been blessed many times to encounter Jehovah-Rophe—the Lord who Heals, both in my own life and the lives of my family members. Today’s post deals with my mother’s healing from cancer that brought our family much joy but was not well received by the Christian community.
In 1991 my mother, who was seventy-years old at the time, was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was both stunned and devastated, and I cried and prayed for three days. After the initial shock wore off, however, I became convinced that God would heal her. She underwent surgery and a year of chemotherapy and, during that time, I prayed for her constantly. The chemo made her very ill, and the doctor finally advised her not to take the final two or three treatments.
During the following nineteen years Mother remained cancer free and healthy. Then, in 2010, at age eighty-nine, Mother told me that she was experiencing occasional “stomach aches.” She said that they were not severe, but she believed that her cancer had returned.
She asked her doctor to run some tests, and they revealed that she had a mass in her stomach about the size of a man’s fist. Even though the blood tests indicated that she might have cancer, because of her age, the doctor did not advise surgery. Mother was adamant. “I want this out of me!” she shouted to everyone within shouting distance—including me on the other end of the phone.
Finally, the doctor told her that he was going to do a biopsy to determine whether the mass was malignant. The procedure would be performed on an out-patient basis on the morning of October 4, and she would be back home by early afternoon.
I prayed that Mother would not have cancer and that the biopsy would come back negative, and I was totally convinced that she was cancer free. However, my husband and I made arrangements to fly to Kansas on the afternoon of October 4 so that I could take care of her in the event that she did not feel well after the biopsy.
When John and I arrived at my mother’s house about 5:00 P.M., no one was at home, and we immediately drove to the hospital. When we arrived, we discovered that the doctor had made a very long incision across Mother’s stomach, and that she was recovering from what appeared to be major surgery. We visited for a while and then took my step father home.
The next day the doctor said that he wanted to talk to me privately. He told me that prior to surgery they had done two different scans to determine the size and location of the mass. He had examined the results and knew exactly what he had to do to perform the biopsy. However, when he made a small incision, he could not find the mass. He continued to make the incision longer in order to locate it. Finally, he made the incision long enough so that he could “look under everything” to locate the mass. But, there was no mass! Mother was not only cancer free, she was mass free!
I was thrilled and did not even try to hide my enthusiasm. “I knew it!” I kept repeating.
When I returned to El Paso, I began to tell everyone what God had done for my mother. I was very surprised, however, to learn that hardly anyone shared my enthusiasm. The most common response was something like this: “Why would God do that? We have prayed for lots of young people with cancer who weren’t healed. They died and left families behind. Why would God heal someone who is eighty-nine years old?”
No one knows why some people are healed and others are not. But we do know this: We have been conditioned to believe that some lives have more worth than others, and we tend to “write off” people whom we believe are too old or too sick or too much trouble to deserve God’s help. Many Christians also have a mind set that God has a finite supply of miracles that He dispenses from time to time. When they are gone, they are gone. Therefore, healing should not be imparted to anyone who can no longer make a meaningful contribution to society. Those people conveniently forget that God’s power is limitless.
Fortunately, God has a different perspective on human life. We are all precious to him. Sometimes He takes us, and sometimes He heals us, but He always loves us. And sometimes, just when things look the darkest, we are privileged to meet Jehovah-Rophe, the Lord who Heals.

Joyce Swann is a nationally-known author and speaker. Her own story of teaching her ten children from the first grade through master’s degrees before their seventeenth birthdays is retold in her book, Looking Backward: My Twenty-Five Years as a Homeschooling Mother. For more information visit her website at http://www.frontier2000.net/ or like her on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/frontier2000mediagroup.

No comments:

Post a Comment