About Me

My photo
Joyce Swann has been a Christian since childhood and a prayer warrior for over forty years. She became nationally-known in the 1990’s because of her work homeschooling her ten children from the first grade through masters’ degrees before their seventeenth birthdays. She has been featured on Paul Harvey’s weekly radio program, CBN, and the 1990’s CBS series, “How’d They Do That?” She has been interviewed by “Woman’s World”, “The National Enquirer”, and numerous regional newspapers. The story of the Swann family has also been featured in the “National Review” and several books about homeschooling success stories. Joyce is the author or co-author of five novels, including “The Fourth Kingdom”, which was selected as a finalist in the Christianity Today 2011 fiction of the year awards and “The Warrior” which, since its release in 2012, has had over 50,000 Kindle downloads and hundreds of glowing reviews. She was a popular columnist for “Practical Homeschooling” for nearly decade and she has retold her own story of homeschooling her ten children in “Looking Backward: My Twenty-Five Years as a Homeschooling Mother”. “The Warrior” is her first solo novel.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Who's on First?

Since Abbot and Costello first performed their now classic comedy skit “Who’s on First?” that question has frequently been posed by people who must perform in front of an audience. More often than not, however, no one wants to be on first.
I am the exception to that rule. When I was in school, we would sometimes be required to recite poetry or give a report in front of the class. When the teacher would ask for a volunteer to present first, I always raised my hand. For one thing, I had always gone over my information just before the class began, and it was fresh on my mind. I knew that if I could present before I had a chance to hear everyone else, I would stand a much better chance of giving a good performance. Besides, I knew that by presenting first I would eliminate a situation where I would grow progressively more nervous as I waited for my turn.
When I became an adult, I discovered that there were many times when I was still on first, but those situations were usually much more uncomfortable than the ones from my school days. Life is made up of numerous situations where there are a fairly large number of people who are in agreement about something, but no one wants to be the first to voice her opinion. In those situations it is impossible to know whether you are the only one who holds a particular view until you act on your beliefs.
One time when my entire family was on first occurred when my children were very young. We had only four children at that time, but the oldest was only four years old, so we gave the impression of having more children than we actually did. On the day in question, we had arrived at church a little late and were forced to sit right down front on the second row. Praise and worship was still going on when we arrived, so we were able to get everyone seated without disrupting the service.
Our pastor, who was only forty-three years old, had died very unexpectedly several months earlier, and the church had just hired a new pastor. The new pastor seemed alright, but no one knew very much about him. He was young and enthusiastic, and those appeared to be his strongest qualities.
On the day in question, as soon as the new pastor addressed the congregation, he announced that we as a congregation were going to “get married.” He was going to perform a ceremony that morning wherein he would join every member of the congregation to every other member. We would all then be responsible for each other in every conceivable way. We would be responsible for each other’s debts and for each other’s general welfare because we would all be husbands and wives to one another. The pastor ended with, “If you don’t want to get married, you’re a whore, so get out.”
My husband John and I looked at each other, and whispered. “Let’ go.” We took the two older children by their hands, picked up the two babies and walked out. As we left, I was careful not to look at anyone; I knew from observing the reaction of the congregation as the new pastor made his announcement, that the proposal had been extremely well received. I also knew that nothing could persuade us to remain and participate in the “wedding” that was about to take place. We left as quietly and unobtrusively as possible and never returned. 
Within six months the new pastor had been forced to leave the church when it was discovered that he was having sex with several of the minor teenaged girls. That was the end; the church did not survive.
Many years later a woman came up to me in a store and introduced herself. She said that she was in the congregation the day that John and I took our children and left.
“When I heard what the pastor had to say, I thought it was a wonderful idea,” she told me. “I was ready to do it, but then I saw you take your kids and leave. I knew that you and your husband were really solid, so I thought there must be something wrong with it. So I left too. I walked out right behind you.”
I may never know whether others left that day because of the example we set by walking out, but I am glad that God prompted that woman to share her story with me. I was especially blessed because we had not left to make a statement. We were concerned with doing the right thing, and, in that case, the right thing involved walking out while several hundred people glared at us. I had always believed that in the eyes of those people John and I were villains.
In retrospect, I believe that God arranged for us to be sitting in that second row in full view of the congregation. I believe that He wanted us to demonstrate our objections by simply walking out and, thus, making a statement about the unscriptural ceremony that was about to take place.
We rarely have much notice when we are going to be called on to be the one who is on first. I am glad, however, that I have been in many situations where I was the one who was on first. Being on first is frequently uncomfortable, but when we agree to go first, we have the privilege of setting an example that may help someone, or lots of someones, make the right decision for their own lives. I cannot think of a better reason to volunteer.

For books by Joyce Swann, visit her website at http://www.frontier2000.net/.

No comments:

Post a Comment